Monday, August 21, 2006

The sound of rain and thunder

There are very few things from the Surface that I miss in the Cavern. Thunderstorms are on that list.

I'm here in my house today, listening to rain pour from my roof, and the rumbles of thunder. I spend a lot of time on the Surface, unfortunately, as I have to make money. Luckilly, it's not hard to get to the Cavern, thanks to my Relto book.

Summer in Arkansas is always hot and dry, but this year has been unusually so around here. It's been a long time since I've heard a storm, and I've missed it. It always relaxes me. Strange though -- when I was a child, I was terrified of storms. I would call my mother at work if a storm woke me up at night, just so she could calm me down. And yet, by they time I was an adult, I loved storms. I studied meteorology for two and a half years in college, I love them so much. I fondly and vividly remember chasing storms across the vast plains of Oklahoma and Texas with my friends, always looking for the elusive supercell storm. We even caught it a few times!

There is rain and thunder in Eder Kemo, true. However, it doesn't feel the same. The storms are short, and mild. The power, the raw strength of a massive thunderstorm are missing. You don't hear the water pouring onto your roof, and off of it, blowing against the windows on all sides as the wind shifts around. You don't see the brilliant flashes through the curtains of rain that block all else. The thunder is nearly constant here, and it rattles windows and shakes your bones. Eder Kemo is relaxing as well, like a warm summer rain, but it lacks the power.

I know, I'm rambling. I guess it's just nice to feel this strength again, after so long without it. And it's a reminder that as much as I love the Cavern, there are times it's good to be on the Surface.

No comments: